Friday 24 June 2011

What's cooking - fisherman's delight

A classic fish pie which can be found in so many recipe books. Mine is totally made up and as with all my recipes, freezes easily and is very simple.

We have a great mobile fishmonger who comes round. If you are staying with us at Coombe Mill he comes on a Thursday, just let me know in advance if you would like to order from him. His prices are fair and the fish fresh, local and excellent. I buy a huge mixed bag of 'pie mix' and it is always a treat to see what I have. There is always salmon, white and smoked fish but sometimes I am lucky with some tuna, monk or sward fish too.

Fisherman's Delight

Ingredients :

Mixed fish, whole milk, butter, plain flour, potatoes, seasoning (I just use low salt and black pepper)

Method:
  1. Place the fish in a large pan, add the milk and steam till just cooked
  2. Remove fish, flake into casserole dish removing bones
  3. Add four, milk and seasoning to the milk and stir into a smooth sauce
  4. Poor milk over the casserole
  5. Boil and mash the potatoes with butter, milk and seasoning
  6. Add to the casserole. 
  7. Heat and serve



My portions are a good size, I  kept a 4 portion back for dinner which fed my 6 children. Admittedly they did have room for today's cake: cherry and vanilla afterwards!



Fisherman's delight a winner with
children and nutritious too!


No comments:

Post a Comment